What does it cost to study abroad in Bhutan?
Breakdown of costs:
Naropa tuition for spring 2019: $15,810
Student fees for spring 2019: $3,850. Student fees cover:
- Airfare from Bangkok, Thailand to Bhutan;
- Travel insurance;
- All housing and meals while in Bhutan (students staying in a self-catering hostel will be given a weekly stipend);
- Most transportation within Bhutan;
- Immigration Visas for Bhutan
- Most educational materials.
Personal expenses not included in Naropa bill:
- Cost of airfare to Bangkok;
- Passport fee (and costs incurred obtaining this document);
- Health insurance (students will be required to show proof of health insurance prior to departure);
- Personal expenses.
Admitted students must pay a $500 non-refundable deposit within two weeks of acceptance to the program in order to guarantee a spot in the program.
How does the student pay the bill?
Students will be charged full-time Naropa tuition plus the student fee, both will appear on the student bill and be paid directly to Naropa. Naropa students may use institutional aid such as grants and scholarships, as well as state and federal financial aid (work study does not apply to study abroad). Special note to Naropa students: It is your responsibility to meet with Student Affairs for a bus pass and/or health insurance waiver. If you do not do this you will be charged for a bus pass and student health insurance.
Visiting students should check with the financial aid office at their home institution to see what aid may apply to Naropa’s Bhutan study abroad program.
Are there scholarships?
Need-based scholarships may be available for the spring 2019 Bhutan Study Abroad program. To be considered for eligibility, Naropa students will need to submit a 2018-19 FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov). Non-Naropa students will need to add Naropa (Naropa’s title IV code is 014652) to the FAFSA and submit a copy of your home school’s award letter to Naropa’s Study Abroad Administrator. Students who wish to be considered for this need-based scholarship should send an email of request to email@example.com.
To learn more about general study abroad scholarships available, please visit the study abroad scholarship page.